Julie Ann Emery is the actress who plays Lara Featherstone on AMC’s fan favorite series Preacher. This summer, Julie Ann has reprised her series regular role as one of the Grail’s best operatives, a character with the ability to use disguises to deceive her target and to change her appearance in mere seconds. She is best known for her breakout recurring role in Better Call Saul, the critically-acclaimed prequel to Breaking Bad. Julie Ann took on the role of Betsy Kettleman, one of the most mysterious characters in the series, who at first glance appears to be an average wife and mother, but ends up butting heads with Jimmy McGill (Bob Odenkirk) over her husband’s embezzlement case.
Check out our latest exclusive interview. We’ve been able to sit down with Julie Ann to talk about Preacher’s third season, which airs every Sunday on AMC, and her past and future works.
– Hi Julie Ann. We’ve already seen half of Preacher’s third season. Can you tell us anything about what’s in store for the rest of it?
In one word : Madness. If I told you more, the AMC spoiler police would break down my door and drag me away.
– This is your second year on the series. Can you tell us about how you landed the role? Did you know anything about the show or the comics before joining the cast?
I was a big fan of Season one of the show. So when the audition came across my desk, I leapt at it. They had been searching to cast the role for awhile. The character had evolved a lot during the audition process, but my part of it happened very quickly. I auditioned on a Wednesday, met with Sam Catlin on Thursday, they tested me off tape on Friday because I was finishing up shooting another project, I was cast Friday night and moved to New Orleans on Tuesday to begin filming. That first Featherstone episode was very fast and furious for me.
– Tell us about your character Featherstone. What would you highlight about her?
She is smart, capable, a bad ass, loves to transform into different personas to go undercover, and is completely and fully dedicated to the mission of The Grail.
– What’s in store for Featherstone this season?
That is a very spoilery question that I mostly cannot answer. I will tell you this, Featherstone is absolutely pushed to her limit this season.
– Do you have a favorite “Featherstone scene” so far? Perhaps when you had to sing last season?
The singing was fun but nerve wracking. The Jazz singer was a fantastic persona. Another stand out was when I had to strip the glock while reasoning with Herr Starr (Pip Torrens) for our lives in the ninth episode of Season two.
– How important is it for you to play a strong female role on television?
Massively. But I’ll go further, it is important to me to play complex women on screen. Any screen. Women who are actionary not reactionary, and who have their own agency and their own goals and dreams.
– Let me ask you about your previous role as Betsy Kettleman on Better Call Saul. What can you tell us about your experience of been part of such a huge fan favorite franchise like Breaking Bad?
It was nerve wracking, intense, wonderful, and the thrill of my life to play in Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould’s sandbox. The pressure, I put on myself, but they made it a wonderful, warm, and inviting place to do the work. Being back on screen with Bob Odenkirk after Fargo was pretty wonderful as well.
– Besides Preacher and Better Call Saul, recently we’ve been able to see you in other hit shows like Major Crimes, Fargo, Masters Of Sex or Suits. Do you have a favorite role from any of them?
That one was difficult. I never choose a favorite role. It’s like choosing a favorite child.
– Before we finish, we’ve been told that you are also working on another series right now…
That’s right. I am currently in Italy working on Catch 22 opposite George Clooney and Chris Abbot. It will be a mini-series on Hulu out in 2019.
An interview by Chris Patterson for Lovingseries.