BBC America’s hit show Orphan Black, CBS’S s new summer series Salvation and Starz’s awarded The Girlfriend Experience are some of the shows where we will be soon seeing actor Vas Saranga, who became widely known for his starring role as Reese in Teletoon’s live-action animation hybrid Mudpit. In a new exclusive interview for our site, we’ve been able to sit down with Vas and talked with him about all these new projects he has been working on.
– Hi Vas. Thanks for your time. Let me start asking you about Orphan Black. You are playing a recurring role during it’s fifth and final season. What can we expect from this last chapter of the show?
Happy to chat, especially about Orphan Black! In this final season you can expect lots of story threads to intersect and culminate with tons of burning questions being answered. And the usual thrills and excitement of the previous seasons, but heightened, because after all, this is the final trip.
– You’re playing a character called Amar. What can you tell us about him? What’s his role on the show?
Amar is a Neolutionist on an island village called Revival. He works as a hunter and dog tracker for P.T. Westmoreland, the founder of Neolution. Amar is subordinate to other members of the hunting party, and begins to question what he’s involved with when dangerous events take place.
– How is it working with such a talented actress like Tatiana Maslany?
It’s surreal. Very exciting, but not intimidating. Seeing her brilliant work for this many years has been inspiring. It gives confidence to all the actors around her. She’s warm and friendly on set, and incredibly adept at slipping in and out of character before the cameras roll. Fun is the operative word.
– This summer we will also see you on CBS’s new summer series Salvation starring Jennifer Finnigan. Tell us about the show and what it’s going to explore. Why should we tune in to Salvation?
Salvation is going to explore a scary scenario: what would happen if the world only had 6 months before an asteroid was to strike. The discovery is made by MIT grad student Liam Cole (Charlie Rowe) and Billionaire tech genius Darius Tanz (Santiago Cabrera). They bring the discovery to the Pentagon, with a team lead by Grace Barrows (Jennifer Finnigan) and Harris Edwards (Ian Anthony Dale). As you can guess, it’s an all star cast. You should tune in because it’s thrilling, well acted, and incredibly well written. The perfect summer series to enjoy!
(Salvation premieres July 12th on CBS)
– Another series we are going to see you on in a near future is The Girlfriend Experience. Can you give us any details about this second season and your character?
This season is going to explore the escort business, but this time, half of it is set in the powerful world of Washington D.C. Super PACs (Political Action Committees). My character, Tim, works with the lead character Erica Myles (Anna Friel) at a Super PAC. Viewers will go on a deep journey with Erica, and the show will explore themes of power and control.
– We’ve read that this second season is going to follow two characters instead of one. How does that make it different from season one? Did you watch Christine’s (Riley Keough) story?
I loved season one. Riley Keough’s story was very compelling. This season follows different characters entirely. There will be two parallel storylines, one set in Washington D.C. and the other set in New Mexico. They will have similar themes but be completely different stories. It will all be very exciting to watch!
– Does Vas Saranga watch TV in his free time? Any favorite shows?
I love TV! My favorite shows right now are Better Call Saul, House of Cards, Orphan Black (of course!), Fargo, Game of Thrones, Silicon Valley and Crashing.
– Besides the shows we’ve talked about. Are you working on anything else?
I just finished shooting a hilarious romantic comedy starring Hayden Christensen and Emma Roberts called ‘Little Italy’. I’m really excited about it, I think people are going to love it!
An interview by Chris Patterson for Lovingseries.